Dentist complaints

How to make a complaint against a dentist

If you are unhappy with the standard of treatment you have received and wish to make a complaint against a dentist then it is easy to do so. If you have suffered injury as a result of the treatment then you may also wish to consider claiming compensation.

NHS dentists

If your dental treatment was provided under the NHS then you can make your complaint to the dental surgery’s practice manager. You should provide details of the complaint within one year of you receiving the treatment.

You can alternatively address your complaint to the body responsible for NHS dental services, NHS England.

If you are dissatisfied with the way your complaint is dealt with then you can escalate it to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. The PHSO provides an independent complaint handling service for complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England. An example of the type of complaint the ombudsman deals with can be found here; the complaint in this instance being the extraction of the wrong tooth.

Private dentists

If your complaint relates to treatment you received privately, rather than under the NHS, then you should raise your concerns with the practice manager of the private dental surgery within one year of receiving treatment.

If you are not satisfied with the resolution of your complaint then you may wish to refer the matter to the General Dental Council, the body responsible for setting standards of conduct and regulating dental professional within the UK.

Another option is to contact the Dental Complaints Service. They have a team of trained advisors who aim to help private dental patients and dental professionals settle complaints about private dental care, fairly and efficiently. The service is free and is funded by the General Dental Council.

Making a legal claim

An alternative course of action that might be available is to make a legal claim for compensation. You may wish to consider taking legal action where you have suffered injury as a result of the treatment you received.

You can make a legal claim whether the treatment was provided under the NHS or privately.

Legal claims are often made as a result of:

  • Delays in treatment
  • A wrong diagnosis
  • Loss of teeth
  • Lack of patient consent
  • Damaged nerves
  • Failed root canal treatment

We work on a No Win, No Fee basis. This means that if your claim is unsuccessful, you will not have to pay us anything. To find out where you stand just get in touch with us.

For a free case assessment please call our legal helpline on 0333 8880406 or send an email to [email protected]

Dentist complaints